Saturday, October 15, 2011

How to Transfer Angry Birds Score and Progress to iPhone 4S


I upgraded from an iPhone 4 to iPhone 4S. Like many people, I do not sync my iPhone 4 with iTunes regularly, and I didn't have the time or bothered to upgrade iPhone 4 to iOS5 before purchasing the iPhone 4S (if I do that, I would have to spend much time on reconfigurating the iPhone 4 after the OS upgrade).

As a result, my iPhone 4S is a "clean" phone, and my immediate problem is to configure all the Apps arrangements and settings. Quickly, I also realized that none of my game score and setting were carried over by iTunes. Specifically, I spent quite some time playing Angry Birds, and I wanted to transfer all my progress and scores to the new iPhone 4S.

After some research and trial, I discovered the following method for transferring Angry Birds progress and score data to the new phone. I think the same would work for moving or sharing Angry Birds between 2 iOS devices (e.g. moving from iPad to iPad 2, etc.). My disclaimer is that this worked for me on my case, and I cannot be responsible for any data or personal loss if you follow the procedures.

1. As a good practices, always back up your data using iTunes before attempting any modification on your iOS device, so that you will always have a path for falling back to the current state.

2. Download an application for PC called DiskAid.  This is a paid application with 14-day free trail. It essentially functions as a "Windows Explorer" for your iPhone when it is connected to your computer's USB port.

3. After the installation, connect iPhone 4 to the PC. Open DiskAid, and click "DiskAid" in the menu bar, then choose “Preferences”. A new tab opens, click “Advanced” tab and make sure to check boxes for:
- “Display all Apps even if they dont have their 'File Sharing' enabled";
- “Show root path for Apps”
- “Show hidden files and folders”


Click "Save". After that, you should be able to see ALL the applications stored on your iPhone 4.

4. Find the Angry Birds directory, click the “Documents” folder, and you’ll see the two files you need to transfer, highscores.lua and settings.lua.


5. Click on the "highscores.lua" and "settings.lua" file, right-click, and choose "copy to PC". Store these files on your desktop or somewhere you would remember.

6. Remove iPhone 4 from your computer's connection, connect iPhone 4S, follow the same procedures above and open the "Documents" folder for the Angry Birds game on your iPhone 4S. Then choose the "Copies files to Device" option on DiskAid, select the "highscores.lua" and "settings.lua" files stored on your computer from the earlier process, and move them to the "Documents" folder.

7. After the above, open Angry Birds on your new iPhone 4S, and you should see that all your previous scores are restored.  Enjoy continue playing the game!

I attempted to repeat the above processes for "Cut the Rope", "StreetFighter" and "iFighter" games. Unfortunately, they didn't work.  However, "Angry Birds" was the move time-consumed game for me, so I'm happy it was taken care of!

4 comments:

  1. it was always good with macs. i found a workaround for PCs. transferred my iPhone 4s scores with Birds` Scores from softorino.com. pretty good, i would say. you follow the tips in a very intuitive way and don`t care about those document folders or whatever. and it`s free.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip Terry. After iOS 5, iTunes and iOS support wireless sync, and the games got smarter by storing the scores in the Game Center, so I no longer had to manually transfer my scores across devices.

      Delete
    2. Pradon me, but i haven`t noticed Angry Birds could be sent to Game Center...

      Delete
  2. Game Center and iTunes sync do not work. Angry Birds for iPad and iPhone are different games - this is the issue.
    You should transfer scores manually or use this kind of apps.

    ReplyDelete